Out feet have to endure a lifetime of continuous use, and it is hardly surprising that on occasions, we experience pain in our feet. It could simply be down to excessive walking, running or jumping, or poorly fitting shoes, and with that in mind, here are a few of the common foot complaints we suffer.
- Fallen Arches – Often referred to as flat feet, fallen arches occur when, for one reason or another, our arches give way. The most common cause is incorrect walking gait, while overweight people might also experience fallen arches.
- Heel Spurs – A heel spur is a build-up of calcium on the lower heel bone, and while it can be very painful, often the sufferer experiences no pain. There are several foot spur issues, and the heel spur is by far the most common. Fortunately, there are online suppliers of top-quality orthotic insoles, which give the feet the vital support, which takes away the inflammation, and the pain.
- Athlete’s Foot – As the name implies, it is often sportspeople who suffer from this condition, which is caused by sweat and dampness. If your feet spend too much time in water, the skin breaks away easily, and this can be extremely painful. A fungal infection that is usually between the toes, athlete’s foot can cause extreme itchiness, and should you have athlete’s foot, make an appointment to see a local podiatrist.
- Bunions – A hard build-up that is usually found on the first joint of the big toe, bunions are generally caused by wearing shoes that are too narrow, which is why the condition is more frequent in women.
- Ingrown Toenails – Cause by too much pressure on the tips of the toes, and this causes the toenail to change its growth direction. Ingrown toenails can be very painful, and is often caused by running in shoes that are too narrow. Merely touching the spot will be painful, and should you experience ingrown toenails, book an appointment with a local specialist.
- Heel Pain – Medically known as Plantar Fasciitis, heel pain can be felt by people of all ages, and can be caused by a number of factors. It is often the case where a teenager suffers from heel pain, which is caused by the Achilles tendons changing to match the growth of the body. Technically, it is the ligament that becomes inflamed, and very often, the best treatment is to insert special orthotic insoles, which can easily be purchased from an online specialist.
The above conditions are a few of the common foot problems, and when you consider that the average adult walks a staggering 150,000 miles in a lifetime, which is the same as walking around the equator 6 times. It is perfectly understandable that our feet sometimes develop issues, and should you experience any pain or discomfort in your feet, make an appointment with your local podiatrist, who can examine you and suggest a suitable treatment.