April 12, 2024

Is It Safe To Swallow Orthodontic Wax?

If you wear traditional braces with wires and brackets that hurt the insides of your cheek, you must be aware of what orthodontic wax is. Dental or orthodontic wax is a soft, small piece of wax that people with braces use to avoid getting injuries inside the mouth. However, people might find it difficult to chew food, brush their teeth, and do other things with them. 

One of the most asked questions by people who wear braces is whether it is harmful to swallow some dental wax while eating or brushing accidentally. Technically, swallowing dental wax would not hurt you, but it is still recommended to be careful and avoid it as much as possible. To find the answers to your queries, consult a Fullerton family orthodontist today.

What is orthodontic wax?

Your mouth needs some time to adjust after you get your first braces put on, whether they are ceramic or metallic braces. A brace often rubs on the inside of your cheeks or lips and may cause mouth ulcers or canker sore. 

Orthodontic wax is applied to that area to prevent such issues. It is made of soft wax that works as a protective barrier between the soft tissues of your mouth and braces. It can slowly fall off or break over time. Orthodontists recommended using orthodontic wax to eliminate pain or irritation caused while wearing the braces. 

What if you swallowed your dental wax?

Many wonder if the wax used in their braces is edible. In short, the answer is yes. However, it is highly inadvisable to eat or ingest them. Orthodontic wax is made of natural and non-toxic materials like paraffin wax, carnauba wax, beeswax, etc., making it completely safe and harmless if accidentally ingested. Mistakes happen; if you accidentally gulp them down your stomach, do not worry; take a deep breath, calm yourself, and let nature take its course.  

Can you eat with wax on your braces?

It is safe to eat your favorite items while wearing your orthodontic wax. However, dentists do not recommend doing so. The food particles can combine with the wax, get stuck, and result in bacteria buildup. This is gross and increases the risk of gum disease and tooth decay. 

Wax can mix up with the food and may affect its taste. Contrary to this, drinking water or any other beverage can help you dislodge the wax. Eating or drinking while wearing orthodontic wax increases the chances of swallowing them.